Saturday, September 4, 2010

After the sale

I'm happy to say that I was able to move forward with a couple of great new projects this week.  Interestingly I found that while I was writing up the paperwork for one particular project I was feeling a lot of stress.  You'd think I'd be super excited to turn in the paperwork.  I realized that I was stressing because it is such a large important project.  It contains multiple elements of our expertise that will come together to create a new managed, secure resilient LAN (local Area Network) and WAN (Wide Area Network).  What finally put me at ease was looking around the room and realizing what a great bunch of people I work with.  What is it that makes a great company?  Is it age, experience, maturity, excellent leadership?

After spending time in the ownership/ leadership role and now playing the role of director/employee I've come to appreciate and understand what it takes to create a culture of accountability and teamwork.  I've seen that the best leaders allow their employees to take part in strategic planning and taking on big responsibilities. They hold high expectations for learning, execution and respect.  Communication must be respectful and well thought out.  Most of all I've seen that great leaders have passion for what they do and they are humble about their place in the world.

I look around me now and know that even though each one of us alone would have a hard time with a project of this size, scope and complexity. As a team where we respect and support each other, where we have effective respectful communication, with leadership that is passionate and humble, we can do whatever we set our minds to.  I've learned that its not the individual skill that one person possesses.  It's the sum total of the power we have to work together.

It's a setting like this where a technical sales/account manager can have success.  It's why I settled down finished the paperwork and turned it in.  I'm super excited to kick the project on Tuesday.

Have a great Labor day weekend.

~pz

No comments:

Post a Comment