Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Communicate, Communicate, Communicate!

What I love about the consulting business is that it always has something to teach me.  In the past week I've been in the middle of 3 projects.  It's been hair raising at times but it's also been fun.  In the past when I had a difficult situation to deal with I would get nervous and lose sleep.  Sometimes I would allow this anxiety to delay the process of communication.  The end result was that there was more frustration and confusion for my customers, myself and my staff.  In short.....more drama.  This week the 3 C's have been driven home again for me.  I've had a bunch of times when I ran up against road blocks for me and my customers.  I was excited to take them head on.

The tendency these days is to kick off an email and say "I've done my part".  I don't think that counts anymore.  I've had too many times where somebody missed my email or it was read and then forgotten.  My new rule is communicate verbally and written as soon as possible.  The best result of that behavior is better relationships and more trust.  Who does not need more of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment