Monday, July 20, 2009

Communication is the key!

When I think about the greatest challenges I've had to overcome with clients, I am always impressed by how our relationships have grown more positive through the interaction and communication. When I was running my own company the quality and depth of communication I had with my employees was the best indicator of our commitment to each other and to our success together. This last week I've spent a lot of time improving on internal communication where I work and on external communication with my clients. The funny thing with communication is that, the small issues sometimes make the biggest difference. Just the other day we had a customer who was waiting to hear back from an engineer that had been on site. The engineer had some more work to do in order to complete the ticket. He was actively working to reschedule his time to go on site. The important issue that we caught was that the customer needed to know we were working on it. They wanted to know they had not been forgotten. What a simple thing. How many providers are working hard to take care of their customers but their customers don't know it be cause it was not communicated? How many customers are waiting for a proposal but don't know that the engineering team is taking extra time to make sure they recommend the right product? How many times is a customer looking for a solution that their current provider already offers but the provider has no idea that the customer needs it? This happens all of the time in the IT industry. Communication is a constant challenge for technology solution providers. They have a hard time with it because technology stuff is complicated. Us geeks speak a different language. In the end it is the providers responsibility to regularly, proactively communicate with high quality to our customers. I guess I'd better get on the phone and call some customers.


Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment