Sunday, June 21, 2009

How about being nice for a change?

Recently I've had several conversations with prospects and customers who have had experiences with technology sales people who have been pushy and disrespectful. I don't understand this behavior and it makes customers leery of working with sales people. What makes me even more concerned is when I talk with someone who has been pushed into a decision and it is hurting their companies operation. No wonder the biggest factor in finding new clients for me is earning their trust. So many people have been pushed into the wrong decision or just plain aggravated by sales people that they don't trust any of them. In some cases I've met customers who will only trust the technical staff and refuse to talk with account managers. Who can blame them. The problem with only trusting technical staff is that they are not usually kept up to date with the latest pricing and special offers from manufacturers. The other problem is that technical staff get busy on priority technical problems and have a hard time being timely and responsive as a result. The good news is that there are a lot of great experienced and knowledgeable sales/account managers out there. These individuals are excited to help you out and keep your best interests in mind. A successful sales/account manager is confident in their solutions and they are OK with a "no". They know that helping you achieve your goals, even if they don't make a sale, will benefit you and them in the long run. They know that when they help customers find the right fit, the result will be warm referrals. I keep asking myself "what can I do differently to allow prospects to feel OK trusting me?". I think it comes down to relieving pressure. I always strive to eliminate this right away in my initial conversations with new prospects. I think this starts with telling them that we may or may not be a fit and that it is OK to say NO. Wow, what a revelation. I'm not a perfect fit for everyone. Right, but the great news is that I can help most people out because of the 20 years worth of connections that I have in the Minneapolis business community. Lets face it, I'd rather be out learning about someones business needs at a coffee shop than stuck in the office cold calling. Here is a list of what to consider when finding a technology vendor:


  1. They have to be nice and respectful

  2. Find someone who is solution, not product oriented

  3. Find someone with at least 5 years of experience

  4. Talk to more than one vendor before you decide who to go with

  5. Find someone who asks lots of questions and can repeat back to you what your concerns and objectives are for your company

  6. Find someone who is authentic and gives a good gut check

Thanks for reading my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment