Sunday, May 3, 2009

The value of having a plan

Lately, I have had the good fortune to be working with a number of clients on their Technology Road maps. I guess in my experiences, over the past few years I've run into all sorts of prospects. Some who wanted to pay for a plan. Some who wanted to get a plan from a whole bunch of different vendors for free and then pick the best plan. I think the plan you pay for is generally the best, but to each their own. I am just here to applaud the idea of taking the time to think out the future of your organization and creating a technology plan. In these uncertain financial times a plan is even more crucial. A lot of companies are wanting to stretch their dollars further and run their technology longer. I understand this. I know what it is like to have limited dollars as an SMB(Small and Medium Business) owner and make this decision. Do I buy a new server or pay for my health care this month? No brainer, let's see if we can milk another month out of that server? It's kind of like the tortoise and the hare. If you consistently, slowly work your technology plan you can win in the end by having spent your dollars strategically in the best places determined by you and your technology partner. If the server does crash, you can know who your vendor is, what product you need to buy, how much the hardware, software and installation will cost. When your business is down, you don't want the added pressure of having to shop....likely you won't have time and you will pay too much. So my advice for these uncertain times is to take time to plan. Hope for the best work and work your plan.


Thanks and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment